Thursday, September 17, 2015

Going to College #AdUitthisway


             I was so excited about starting college because it meant a big step in growing up, and I loved the prospect of all the fun: school clubs, after-school activities, dating, and parties. But I was also just as nervous about all of those things. I was afraid I would make a huge mistake in my freshman year that would ruin my social life for the next 4 years in university. I was also afraid the classwork would be so much harder than high school. After a few weeks into my 1st year , though, I realized going to college wasn't something to worry about. I was prepared for it by all the learning and growing I had done the year prior. Don't let all of the fears get blown out of proportion. 

              The social game plays a big role in the transition from middle school to high school. You have the influence of older kids around you and peer pressure hits hard. My advice is not to worry so much about trying to be cool; I had to learn that the hard way. If people are really your friends, they won't ask you to do something you don't feel comfortable doing or that's wrong. I almost lost my best friend because I wanted to be with the "in" crowd, but they didn't want anything to do with her. The things they were involved in didn't fit my definition of "right" either, but I was willing to sacrifice my values to be cool. Stand your ground about what you feel is right for you, even when everybody else seems to give in. Enjoy the new opportunities available to you, but don't push for all the doors to open too soon. Most importantly, remember how nervous you were entering college.

No comments:

Post a Comment